This policy describes how we collect and use personal data about you, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Data Protection Act 2018 and any other national implementing laws, regulations and secondary legislation, as amended or updated from time to time, in the UK (‘data protection legislation’).
Please read the following carefully to understand our practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
- About us
The term “COUNTRY” or “us” or “we” refers to design by country, whose registered office is 28 Woodside Drive, Shrewsbury SY3 9BW. Our company registration number is 09268918.
For the purpose of the data protection legislation and this notice, we are the ‘data controller’. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal data about you. We are required under the data protection legislation to notify you of the information contained in this privacy notice.
- How we may collect your personal data
We obtain personal data about you, for example, when:
- you buy products or services or redeem vouchers either direct from us or online (either using an account you have created or with a guest check out)
- you create an online account for our web shop
- you visit our website or engage with us on Social Media
- you contact us by any means with a query or complaint or for any other purpose
- you ask us to email you information about a product or service
- you enter competitions here on our website or Social Media
- you choose to complete any surveys we send you
- when you fill in any forms on our website including, but not limited to, signing up for our newsletter
- The kind of information we hold about you
The information we hold about you may include the following:
- your personal details (such as your name and/or address);
- details of contact we have had with you in relation to the provision, or the proposed provision, of our products and services;
- details of any products or services you have received from us;
- our correspondence and communications with you;
- information about any complaints and enquiries you make to us;
- information from research, surveys, and marketing activities;
- How we use personal data we hold about you
- To process any orders placed on our website or by other means. To process your order we may have to pass your details to third parties such as delivery companies.
- To respond to queries, complaints, refund requests or other requests for information.
- To maintain our own accounting and other business records that we are required by law to keep.
- With your consent, to send you newsletters and information about our products that we think will be of interest to our customers. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time to processing for these purposes.
- To administer any prize draws or competitions that you choose to enter and based on your consent given at the time of entering.
Situations in which we will use your personal data
We may use your personal data in order to:
- carry out our obligations arising from any agreements entered into between you and us (which will most usually be for the provision of our products);
- provide you with information related to our products and activities that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, provided you have consented to be contacted for such purposes;
- seek your thoughts and opinions on the products and information we provide; and
- notify you about any changes to our products.
In some circumstances we may anonymise or pseudonymise the personal data so that it can no longer be associated with you, in which case we may use it without further notice to you.
If you refuse to provide us with certain information when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have entered into with you. Alternatively, we may be unable to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations.
We may also process your personal data without your knowledge or consent, in accordance with this notice, where we are legally required or permitted to do so.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it is collected.
When assessing what retention period is appropriate for your personal data, we take into consideration:
- The requirements of our business and the products or services provided;
- Any statutory or legal obligations;
- The purposes for which we originally collected the personal data;
- The lawful grounds on which we based our processing;
- The types of personal data we have collected;
- The amount and categories of your personal data; and
- Whether the purpose of the processing could reasonably be fulfilled by other means.
Change of purpose
Where we need to use your personal data for another reason, other than for the purpose for which we collected it, we will only use your personal data where that reason is compatible with the original purpose.
Should it be necessary to use your personal data for a new purpose, we will notify you and communicate the legal basis which allows us to do so before starting any new processing.
- Data sharing
Why might you share my personal data with third parties?
We will share your personal data with third parties where we are required by law, where it is necessary to administer the relationship between us or where we have another legitimate interest in doing so.
Which third-party service providers process my personal data?
“third parties” includes third-party service providers and other entities within our group of companies. The following activities are carried out by third-party service providers: payment processing for transactions initiated on our website, accounting records, newsletter mailings.
All of our third-party service providers are required to take commercially reasonable and appropriate security measures to protect your personal data. We only permit our third-party service providers to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
We also use a third party, Google Analytics, to collect information via cookies when you visit our website. This data is processed in a way which does not identify anyone. We do not make, and do not allow Google to make, any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our website. If you would like to opt out of this, you can install this Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser Add-On.
- Data security
We have put in place commercially reasonable and appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
- Rights of access, correction, erasure, and restriction
Your duty to inform us of changes
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Should your personal information change, please notify us of any changes of which we need to be made aware by contacting us, using the contact details below.
Your rights in connection with personal data
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data. This enables you to receive details of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are processing it lawfully.
- Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you.
- Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this basis. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal data about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal data to you or another data controller if the processing is based on consent, carried out by automated means and this is technically feasible.
If you want to exercise any of the above rights, please email our data protection point of contact firstname.lastname@example.org
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request for access is clearly unfounded or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with the request in such circumstances.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is another appropriate security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
- Right to withdraw consent
In the limited circumstances where you may have provided your consent to the collection, processing and transfer of your personal data for a specific purpose (for example, in relation to direct marketing that you have indicated you would like to receive from us), you have the right to withdraw your consent for that specific processing at any time. To withdraw your consent, please email email@example.com
Once we have received notification that you have withdrawn your consent, we will no longer process your personal information (personal data) for the purpose or purposes you originally agreed to, unless we have another legitimate basis for doing so in law.
- Changes to this notice
Any changes we may make to our privacy notice in the future will be made on our website www.designbycountry.com
This privacy notice was last updated on 18th October 2019.
- Contact us
If you have any questions regarding this notice or if you would like to speak to us about the manner in which we process your personal data, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for Data Protection issues, at any time. The ICO’s contact details are as follows:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Telephone – 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745
Website – https://ico.org.uk/concerns